14 used from $89.99
- The Essential Phone is expertly crafted using titanium and ceramic, with an edge-to-edge Full Display and captures stunning images (even in low light) with the world's thinnest dual camera system ever built for a phone.
- Beauty meets brawn - With a titanium body, a ceramic back and the attention to detail that went into building this device, you'll feel the craftsmanship from the moment you pick it up.
Essential Phone PH1 Overview
The founder of Android, Andy Rubin, has a new startup phone/hardware company called Essential. Their first product is called the Essential PH1 (Phone 1). We’ll be reviewing what we think are the best specs, as well as taking a look at the possibility of Essential PH1 Black Friday price reductions.
Andy Rubin started the company to combat the increasing number of bloatware and pre-installed apps that are found on modern smartphones. From what we’ve seen of the Essential PH1, it’s an elegant, well-desiged smartphone which innovates through simplicity.
Key Features of Essential PH1
Titanium Body & Ceramic back
Both stylish and durable, we find the simplicity is refreshing both inside and out. Unlike many smartphones which are made of aluminum, the body of the phone is made from titanium which is much stronger and harder to scratch. The back of the phone is made from ceramic. Essential has stated that they do not have a place on their site for phone cases for the reason that these materials are much more durable than the cases themselves!
Bloatware and preinstalled apps have crept into modern flagship phones without much notice, this goes for Android phones as well. These apps can be annoying, take up unnecessary space, and seem often to be there for no other reason than to promote the companies software. We found the Essential PH1 to have a refreshingly uncluttered interface, focussed on the user.
Magnetic Connectors for Accessories
For example, the 360-degree camera which clips into place, and a magnetic charging dock. We think the best thing about this magnetic connector is that is designed to remain the same throughout all future versions Essential Phone generations, which would mean that you won’t have to replace your device to use the latest accessories in a few years – neat!
5.7 Inch Screen
The screen takes up the vast majority of the front of the device, reaching almost right up to the edges. All except for a little notch at the top of the screen, which some of the user interface is built around.
- OS: Android 7.1 (Nougat)
- 5.7-inch LCD display
- 2560 x 1312 resolution
- Snapdragon 835
- 4 GB RAM
- 128 GB internal storage
- Dual 13-MP cameras, RGB + monochrome
- F1.85 aperture
- 8MP Front facing camera
- Non-removable 3,040 mAh battery
- USB-C with fast charging
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Modular accessory pins
- Colors: Black Moon, Pure White, Stellar Grey, Ocean Depths
- Great battery life.
- No Bloatware.
- A refreshingly clean, uncluttered interface.
- Modification on the back which means that all accessories will fit previous phones.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Stronger, titanium chassis and ceramic back.
- Unique, understated design.
- The camera might not be as good as some other smartphones on the market.
- No OIS (Optical image stabilization)
- The touch ID could be improved.
- No headphone jack.
- No waterproofing.
- No port for a micro SD card to add more storage
Essential PH1 Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals
The Essential PH1 has two purchasing options, one is the smart phone alone and the other includes a 360-degree camera. We think it’s worth getting it with the 360 camera as it’s really not that much more expensive and you can start shooting VR videos right away! Despite the obvious upsides of the Essential PH1, some critics are casting a shadow over the launch of the Essential PH1 flagship phone. Because of this, we are hoping to see Essential PH1 Black Friday and Cyber week sales as Essential aim to get this phone out to early adopters.